Tuesday 4 November, 2008

Of Midterms, National Income and Ethics...

Getting out of the Operations Management paper, I heaved a sigh of relief. So far so good. I wouldn't have to bear the burden of being a Production Engg who failed in an OM paper because he couldn't 'rattofy' the capacity of each stage in the cases we had done in class. Correction: "... the cases we had in the handbook." The paper was much better than expected. A large part of it was based on concepts (or what I usually call Common Sense) and there was only 1 question that required remembering what some fellow had said about his analysis of some STCL case... Phew!!

One day gone and the two Operations subjects off the hook. Now I could start studying. One look at the timetable reminded me of the horrors of tomorrow. It wasn't even horror. It was more like that funny, empty, gnawing feeling in the stomach when you can't even remember a subject like that - MacroEconomics and Business Ethics. MacroEco, as far as I can remember, was conspicuously absent from our collective consciousness. No lecture lasted more than 45 mins, thanks to our wonderful prof who mistook our drooping heads(and eyes) for nods of understanding.

And Business Ethics; well that was a masterpiece. The first lecture we argued till our tongues fell off for how ethical it is to deprive the rich to provide opportunities for the poor - and the prof was mighty pleased with the CP (class participation). The next lecture on we were bombarded with Relativistic theory and Absolutism and Rawls et al. Till that day, I had never bothered to think that people actually do research in Ethics. WOW!! And ever since then, the Business Ethics class survives on DCP (Desperate CP) and even that is rare. In fact, my best sketches seem to develop in BE class :-D

Mental note to myself: I should scan some of those sketches and share them with you.... if nothing else, it will atleast take me to within 50 metres of the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment