Wednesday 12 November, 2008

"Phone lagaun kya... ?"

Four and a half inches long, 2 inches wide, 117 grams - the dimensions of my life. I am not talking of any anatomical oddity but something more family-viewing type - my mobile phone. That little box the size of a small packet of chocolate can leave huge fully grown men powerless. It was as if I was decapitated.
This happened on Monday evening. Archana (archie) and Hetal (hate-all) were headed to the city to get archie's phone fixed. I remembered my phone's kinky behaviour off late and joined in. Off to the Nokia Care which gave me the impression of some revered temple - footwear taken off outside and people (hoards of them) patiently waiting for their turn. I don't know what this indicates - that too many people buy Nokias or that too many Nokias end up giving trouble(MBAs cant help evaluating every company's future and market share). Shaking off that valuation for a later stage, I concentrated on figuring out where to get myself a token and getting the 'prasadam' of having someone look at my phone(By this time, I had almost given up hope of having it fixed on that day).
The 5 guys before me from token no.125 to the 130 that I was allotted were fast enough and I was having my phone examined within 25 mins (even you would call that 'fast' if you had seen the situation there). The kindly lady out there remarked that it was a common occurrence with this model and would be resolved if she reinstalled the software. Having no other options, I gave the go ahead.
Fifteen minutes and the phone was as good as new. But the power of a mobile phone is not in its being, but rather in whats inside it. Those simple fifteen minutes had deprived me of about 400 contacts that I had in there and a few hundred messages. In an age where success or failure is simply about having or not having the right contacts, this was disaster. Now I was left with a phone which worked great(or so claimed the lady at the Nokia Care) but couldn't call or message anyone. I was powerless. If I ever got into a fight, I would be holding a blank phone and threatening "Phone lagaun kya?" Not that any fight ever entails any actual calling, but the threat would miss the feeling of credibility. If I needed some work done, I wouldn't be able to call a friend, shove responsibility and then party without a care. I wouldn't be able to read those old lovely messages and miss people (or rather, laugh at them for sending in those tacky jokes). What was I gonna do with that phone which didn't give me the power? It was just another electronic contraption.
For 5 hours that day, till we came back and I started filling in contacts again, my mobile was truly what it was - 117 grams of weight - a 'Thing' - not something which my life depended upon. For those 5 hours, I was free. My life was not in a toy that was designed in Finland, manufactured in China and assembled in Taiwan. It was where the Maker had designed it to be - with me.

1 comment: